Monday, March 19, 2018

A Bridge Too Far... How to React to Being Laid-Off

There's downsizing going on across many industries right now (ahem, Coca-Cola). If you've been affected, it's important to keep your eye on the prize... namely, your good name. It's easy to get down because you feel slighted, especially if you performed at a higher level than those employees that were retained. Just let it go. Companies are always going to restructure and for those staying and those who are let go, there's never really a good time for a re-org. You have to accept it as it comes. You hear it all through your career... "just don't burn any bridges". But, it never really resonated with me, until now.

It does no good to get disgruntled because your reputation is on the line. And, if you're like many, you've probably been in the same industry for the majority of your career, and, odds are, you're looking to stay in the same industry, perhaps go to a competitor you once thought of as the enemy (it's amazing what one phone call can do to your psyche). My point is, there are probably people you know who have preceded you to another company and they still know people at your old company and they talk, and, well, you get it. Stories and rumors travel faster than the truth and if you make a grand exit, everyone is sure to hear about it. Probably even your next possible employer.

I was recently impacted and it really hurt. I had about a month heads-up that there were going to be some roles eliminated and others would be changed. It was probably the longest, hardest 30 days of my adult working life knowing this could alter the trajectory of my family. I told my wife very early on about the impending changes. We'd been through periods like this before, so, it wasn't exactly foreign to us. But, this time felt different. I was at a different stage in my life and my career and I felt more vulnerable than before. I never really let on to her about how serious I thought the outcome could be because I didn't want her to worry at home while taking care of two kids while I'm traveling. It's already hard enough being married to someone who travels frequently. As fate would have it, I was out of town when I got the expected news... in the exact same city... in the exact same hotel as the last time I got the exact same news. It was a sad day for me and for many of my colleagues with whom I built great relationships while we built great brands. I will miss them.

My story is no different than countless others. This happens daily, and you know what? I'm pretty sure most people end up with a better job. So, why am I telling you all this? Because, this time for me, I received so much support from my customers that it really lifted me up. Many told me they had no clue my job was being cut because I pretty much stayed connected with them right up until my last day. Some were shocked as to how gracious I was in departing. On my last day, I attended a customer meeting and personally introduced many of my customers to their contact who would be taking over for me. I acted that way for several reasons. One, because I'm more mature than if this had happened twenty-five years ago. But, mainly, it was the right thing to do. It serves no one, not your customers, not your soon-to-be fellow employees, not your reputation, to act in any manner other than professional.

I did this because, down the road, I don't want to be remembered for how I exited, but, for how I performed while I was there. It sounds cliche, but, don't burn any bridges. And, that's a lesson worth passing down to your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment